Thursday 28 April 2011

Duck handle



Yesterday my son and I visited his great grandmother (from his father's side) and she gave me this lovely duck handle. Which I presume is made from celluloid, an early type of plastic. At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century, often used to replace ivory and bone.

Although it's not the "real" thing and I have no clue how old it is. I do think it's lovely and my husband will use it to make a victorian/edwardian style walking cane for me. Or maybe it will end up as the handle of a parasol or umbrella.

2 comments:

Fanny said...

Very pretty! I can imagine it as the handle of an umbrella...

The Dreamstress said...

Oh, how darling! And it reminds me of my grandfather. He collected duck-handled canes. He must have had dozens of them. I remember them arranged in cane holders around the couch that he slept on in the last few months of his life.

I wonder what ever happened to all my grandfathers canes. I have a nasty feeling they all ended up with the evil stepgrandmother, and her kids just threw everything away when she died.

I'm glad to see yours is getting a better ending - do something lovely with it!